1) When making your travel reservations, do not plan to travel for at least 72 hours following surgery.
2) Plan for two full days of bed rest following surgery.
3) Remove Scrotal Support after 48 Hours
4) NO LIFTING items heavier than 1 gallon of milk for 2 weeks following surgery.
5) If you are released from the hospital the same day of surgery you will have a drain. You will return to Dr. Perito’s office the following day to have the drain removed. In the meantime, you will need to monitor the blood flow into the drain and empty it periodically.
6) You will need to apply ice packs several times a day in 20 minute intervals for the first 4-5 days following surgery. Re-using frozen bags of peas or corn is helpful.
7) You will need to change your dressing and keep the surgical site clean and dry. Keep covered with a CLEAN dressing until the staples are removed, or until you are allowed to wet the incision (5-7 days following surgery).
8) You may have staples at the incision site. If you will not be in the Coral Gables area within a week after your surgery for a follow-up visit and need to have the staples removed, you can have Dr. Perito’s office schedule a follow-up appointment with a trained physician near your home BEFORE leaving Coral Gables (sometime between 10-14 days).
9) Do NOT shower for the first 48 hours following surgery. No direct water contact for 5-7 days following surgery. 7 days for diabetic patients.
10) On the 5th day after surgery (7th day for diabetic patients), you’ll begin a three-times a day routine of hot water in the shower directly to your penis followed by 20 minutes of ice packs. NO BATHS.
11) Narcotic pain medications may cause constipation. Increase your water intake and consumption of fruits and vegetables for relief. If your bowels don’t move within three days after surgery, it will increase your pain level and you will need diuretics.
12) You may also experience difficulty urinating or find your stream is not of its usual strength. This is because of the inflammation in your penis and it will return to normal in time.
13) PULL PUMP DOWN in the scrotum several times a day as you are instructed by Dr. Perito. You will likely experience some soreness and swelling, but this is an important part of the rehabilitation. Attempt to find the deflate tabs every time.
14) NO SEXUAL CONTACT IS PERMITTED UNTIL PERMISSION IS GRANTED BY PHYSICIAN.
IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS, CALL DR. PERITO AT THE NUMBER YOU WILL BE GIVEN DURING YOUR OFFICE VISIT.
To print this form click here.